<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/38365664?origin\x3dhttp://aims-dolcevita.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Shanghai Night by ISA 2007 *heart*

Note: So this entry was originally going to be posted on 17 May, but being the lazy Ammie that I am, I've been putting off finishing it until 'my conscience finally got me' --> it's about time I posted an entry exclusively dedicated to Shanghai Night! After all, it's been almost a month after the event... Do pardon my procrastination ya peeps! XD -updated 27 May-

So after THREE short weeks of endless meetings, countless trips to Springvale (poor uncle... o_0), churning my poor uncreative brain to be creative for the bloody decoration *ouch!*, booth duties, sleepless nights etc, Shanghai Night was finally kicked off beautifully by the International Students' Association (ISA) on 9 May 2007! \(*.*)/

So let's start with some of the performances first. First up we have Mel's beautiful Mandarin song --> 理想情人 (Dream Lover)!

Similar to last year's Culture Night, a play was also thrown in to provide a brief explanation about the song while Mel sang. Personally, I prefer this year's version. Why? Because it's a HAPPY ending!! ^.^ Don't we all just love happy endings? *lol*

Scene 1: Mel serenading the audience while lead girl, sweet Sharon gracefully reading a book.

Scene 2: Lead guy Ah Hao as the photographer with his model Sookie.

Scene 3: *romance alert!* Ah Hao manly carries poor Sharon who sprained her ankle, awww...


Scene 4: *danger alert!* Oh no, Sharon is getting the wrong idea about Ah Hao and Sookie, jealousy is in the air!! 0_0


Scene 5: Ah Hao cheekily slips a note into Sharon's hands, naughty naughty... LOL


Scene 6: The first date for the lovebirds, how sweet... >_<



Scene 7: And finally, the moment we've been waiting for --> Ah Hao confessed his love to Sharon and they officially became an item!! Awww.... *heart melts*


Now isn't that lovely? That's why I adore happy endings~~ Btw, don't they look sweet with each other? Hey Mel, maybe we can hook them up, hehe... *evil matchmakerish laughter* *plots matchmaking plan* Anyway Mel, love your song! Sorry about the sudden technical hiccup though, pai seh nia...

Next on the 'menu', we have our (Mel, Eileen, Ying & yours truly) Eternal Flame! Well, I personally think we did a pretty good job despite the 'fire-crackery sound effects' (the PA system was throwing a tantrum), but hey, nothing is perfect right? It was an unforeseen technical malfunction and we tried our best to perform under such circumstances, so kudos to us! *winks*


Singing our hearts out... The flame is burning eternally, lol... (L-R: Ying, Eileen, Mel & myself)



Btw, a big thank you to both Alex and Nick for playing beautifully on keyboard and guitar, good job boys! ^^


Shaking that ass off~~



Not forgetting, also a Cantonese song (约定/Promise) performed by the 'Hong Kong Trio' --> Jacky, Alex & Philip!! Have always loved this song and boys, well done! :)

The Hong Kong Trio --> Jacky and Philip (Alex who was playing the keyboard is sadly not in this shot, aiyo... -.-)



Anyway, next in line, we have our Shine choir team singing the beautiful song "This Is My Father's World", English plus Mandarin versions! 0_o Well, this is my first time in a choir and I have to say, it was great! Enjoyed every moment of it! *heart*


Shine... L-R: Ying, myself, Eileen, Jian Wern, Jason, Philip, Sharon (also the flute player) and Alex the keyboard player is once again missing in the shot... :(


"This is my Father's world~~"... “这是天父世界~~”... =)


So I was involved in three performances apart from emceeing and as hectic as they were, I had tremendous fun doing each of them. The following performance nevertheless touched my heart the most as it was a performance by us ISA 2007! *heart*


We sang two classic Mandarin songs by Teresa Teng --> 月亮代表我的心 (The Moon Represents My Heart) and followed by 甜蜜蜜 (As Sweet As Honey).



“啊~~在梦里” Main singers from ISA, L-R: Sabrina, Dom, yours truly, uncle, Sookie and Jacky. (Btw, check out Sabrina's peace sign, damn comel lor, lol)

You know, I reckon twenty years or even more from now, when I listen to these two songs again, all those lovely memories of Shanghai Night would still remain as vivid as it is today, the laughter, the thunderous applause, the music, the wonderful people, hell, everything! Honestly, I'll never look at these two songs the same again! *heart*

There were also a couple of interesting performances worth a mention here. Terry Hogan's impromptu Watlzing Matilda and according to him, it's a very Australian song. True enough, the aussie guests were all enthusiastically singing along! *amazed* (Hmm, perhaps I should also memorize the lyrics as well? lol)


Besides that, dear Catherine's Wushu performance was both stunning and mind-boggling! Everyone pratically stopped what they were doing and locked his/her gaze at Catherine, boy the girl can really kick ass! You go Catherine, very proud of you! *girl power* Oh well, too bad I don't have any photos for these two performances... :(


Anyway, now let's move on to the beautiful people on the night itself! Oh yea, so I got a shit load of Shanghai Night photos but trying to scan for myself in those gazallion of photos was 'heartbreaking' because I was hardly in any! *sobs* Oh well, I guess being a part of the busy ISA crew, it was a miracle that I even had the opportunity to take a few! Ok, I'll stop whinning now and be grateful, lol... >.<

Shanghai Night 2007 (L-R: Uncle my co-host, Eileen my bubbly mentee, Jason my siao housemate 1, Ying my siao housemate 2, Mel my lovely neighbour, Lex my No. 1 mentee)


Pretty girls on a wonderful Shanghai Night! (L-R: Ying again! *chuckles*, Surekha, Audrey, Katie and Natalie)



OMG I was in this picture! *jumps for joy!* (L-R: Yours truly, Alex my siao housemate 3 *evil laughter*, Eileen, Mel and Sharon my sweet & pretty mentee)


Hot chicks alert! (L-R: Eileen, Sookie my cute mentee clad in a yutaka and Selegne) Btw, don't you think Selegne just looks gorgeous? (Don't even think about it guys, this one is already attached! LOL)



The Penang kias/Ah Bengs! *evil grins* (L-R: Jason, Lex and Wayne a.k.a. ISA President)


My three lovely mentees! *heart* (Strangely felt like a mother looking at her three pretty daughters though, was that my maternal instinct or what? LOL -_-lll)


I'm in this too, hurray! \(*.*)/



What do you think of the venue decoration? >_<


I particularly fancy the idea of suspending the table numbers, see those strings of ang-pows (红包)? A table number is stapled at the end of each string which were then suspended directly above each table. A brilliant idea wasn't it? Looks like a chandelier albeit a cheaper version, lol... Well, although I was so-called in charge of decor, a big thanks to the rest of the committee for contributing different creative ideas to my very uncreative poor brain, especially to uncle who came up with the 'ang-pows chandelier' idea! >_<

A very high Shine group! 0_o


With Eileen my mentee


With Sharon, also my mentee.


Btw Sookie, did we take a picture together? Do pass it to me if we did ya~~


With Ying my dearest housemate :)


With Jason my extremely loud housemate! LOL


With Alex my poor housemate who has been 'contaminated' by the other 3 siao housemates (myself included, hehe). Btw, Alex is also ISA secretary or sexy-tary, hoho~~


So what do you get when you chuck the four of us in the same house?


You'll get......


The (fantastic) Dalpura 4! *winks* (Take 1: A 'normal' picture)


Take 2: Going a little bit crazy, we're slowly revealing our 'true colours'! Hehe...


With my dearest Ben Ben! *winks*


With dear Audrey Rubianto! *evil laugher* Btw, what the heck was Jason doing behind us?!! "What the deuce?!!" *mimics Stewie from Family Guy*

Sidetrack for a while: So I discovered an interesting 'phenomenon' after browsing through all the pictures --> Nick was constantly showing the exact same rocker-like signs in every photo! *gasp*

Don't believe me? Well, check out the following examples......

Example 1: Nick and Ivan


Example 2: Nick and Eileen


Example 3: Nick and Alex (Oh no! He got poor Alex! lol)


Example 4: Oh no! Not my cute little mentee too!! Eh Nick, don't try to 'contaminate' my mentee! *eyes at Nick with evil intentions* Haha!

Seriously Nick, please be more creative next time can? -_-lll Btw, according to him, those signs supposedly mean "I love you".

And the following, one of my favourite photos --> our Malaysian gang! Can you believe we were actually singing our national anthem Negaraku too?!! Gosh, guess we're a bunch of very patriotic Malaysians...... 0_0


Malaysia boleh! A big group of patriotic Malaysians and err... a random angmoh, damn potong steam, lol...

And not forgetting *clears throat*, the kiasu gang whom upon seeing us Malaysians, comically grabbed their flag and stood directly in front of us (ooi, want to fight arr? lol -_-lll) --> our lovely neighbour the Singaporeans!


The kiasu Singaporeans! (Oh well, no malice felt though, we still love our lovely neighbour don't we? LOL)

And err... also another minority group who's seriously outnumbered *kesiannya* --> the Hongkies!

Jacky also the Activities Officer and Alex with their Hong Kong flag, where're the rest of the Hongkies?!! 0_0


One of our generous sponsors --> Churchill district Lions Club

Oh yea, also heard from uncle that they totally enjoyed themselves on the night and they're also more than willing to sponsor us again should we need any sponsorship next time! Awww, how very lovely of them.... *winks*

"Yummmmmmmmm seng!" One of the highlights of the night, from ISA 2007 to everyone! =)

So that concludes the night, followed by a very fun after party! Honestly, after throwing myself in working on the event for three weeks, it simply amazes me just how fast the night came to an end! 0_0 Oh well, happy times just seem to slip by faster, don't you reckon? ^^

At least I enjoyed myself and the event went really well, what more could I ask for? It was after all our hardwork, tears, sweat and blood... Shanghai Night 2007 will always be a night to remember...

I'm so proud to be a part of ISA 2007! *heart*

xxxxx

Some interesting facts about Shanghai Night:
  1. Thanks to dear Surekha, I finally got to wear a sari for the first time, how exciting! Thanks again for lending me your sari Surekha, it was so beautiful! *winks* And also a big thanks to Sindhu for dressing me up. Gosh, it actually took her half an hour to dress me up!
  2. Besides the emcees (myself and uncle) and the backstage guys (Nick and H), the rest of the ISA committee were practically waiters/waitresses of the night! Honestly, I'm so proud of you guys! *winks* ISA 2007 rocks!!!
  3. An unexpected situation in regards with vegetarian food --> we just didn't have enough! But thanks to Kal's quick thinking, it was speedily resolved by getting them from Churchill Chinese Restaurant, phew! *wipes sweat*
  4. Although I had experiences in public speaking thanks to those debating and public speaking days back in high school, this was nevertheless my first time emceeing and I tell you, it was so nervewrecking! Anyway, think me and uncle were not too bad as emcees, haha... >.<
  5. Was actually planning to wear my yellow tube dress for the Eternal Flame performance, but after witnessing the intricacy of wearing a sari, I eventually changed my mind and wore the sari all night long.
  6. Thanks to dear Cynthia who kindly helped us with the calligraphy for those table numbers, boy the girl is good at Chinese calligraphy! Thanks babe! And also a big thank you to Ming Sheng who diligently made those cute dragan origamis for each table's centre piece.
  7. Even prior to the final 'yum seng' scene, the night was basically filled with countless yum sengs from several tables! Think the angmohs were quite intrigued by it, hehe... And yes Ben, Byron really did plan the ISA yum seng thingy the night before, lol.
  8. Some angmohs were really damn spoiler, they liked to make an unexpected and uninvited appearance in some photos. Very amusing but also damn potong steam, haha~~
  9. Everyone had so much fun at the after party! Btw, it was also rather challenging dancing in a sari, kept worrying that I'd step on the sari and fall, lol...
  10. Ah Hao is now officially crowned as 'Ah Hiao'! *chuckles* Gosh, the guy is just so good at shaking his ass, haha...
  11. Ben my housemate in Clayton surprisingly came to Shanghai Night with three other Clayton and Berwick ISA members! *amazed* Too bad I was so busy that I didn't get to take a photo with him... *sobs* Nevertheless, thanks for coming Ben, hope you had fun!
  12. Shanghai Night wouldn't have been successful without uncle, so a special thanks to dear uncle. Keep up the good work uncle! =)

Labels: ,

♥ When you think of happiness, I hope you think of me.
5:01 PM


8 comments

♥ MYSELF ;

    Ammie or Aims.
    From Malaysia, currently in Australia.
    More about myself?
    Read my blog,
    perhaps you'll get an idea.
    Of course,
    that might or might not be the case,
    not promising anything.
    I don't owe you an explanation
    about myself after all.

♥ TagBoard


♥ Thank you

♥ Past

♥ Counters



    eXTReMe Tracker