Sunday, November 18, 2007
That was the kind of response that most people had when I told them I was going to Canberra. Honestly, I wasn't surprised. Canberra is a boring place, at least that's what most people said, some even said it's only a bigger version of Gippsland.
Oh well, not that I cared because I wasn't going there for a tour, I HAD to go there because I had to renew my passport at the Malaysian High Commission in Canberra. Unfortunately, there are only TWO freaking Malaysian embassies in the whole of Australia (Canberra & Perth)! -_-lll And no, I couldn't do it in Melbourne, according to the 'smart' people in the embassy, I MUST go to either Perth or Canberra in person to renew my passort. Seriously, they really should freaking have one Malaysian embassy in Melbourne too!!
Anyway, after much deliberation, I decided to go to Canberra on 6 Nov. Nick was initially going there with me, until he 'conveniently' decided to go back on 5 Nov (after he extended his flight to the 12th). =.= *speechless*
So it was a 9-hour train+coach ride from Melbourne to Canberra! *falls into black hole* Worse, the freaking VLine train hardly left Melbourne before it conveniently decided to break down and we were left to rot at the same spot for at least an hour! Finally, after much agonising waiting, the train was then pushed by a locomotive to Kensington station which we then had to switch to a coach.
In the end, after all the commotion, we were finally on our way to Canberra again (by this time, we were already two hours behind the original schedule)!
I reached Canberra at around 6.30pm and Ganesha was already at Joliment Station waiting for me. Went to Taj Mahal for dinner and I must say, food there was amazing and I love the place, from the lighting to the ambience, thumbs up! Too bad I forgot to take photos of the restaurant, what a shame. =( Anyway, Ganesha insisted on paying for dinner as a birthday gift for me, how sweet, thanks kiddo! =)
So armed with a map, I went to the embassy the next day. Ganesha told me I should take bus 32 to Yarralumla (that's where the embassy is located) until I realised bus 32 is only available for weekend and evening services! *gasp* But thanks to the friendly bus driver and a helpful uncle who was on his way to work, I finally hopped on bus 30 and was on my way to Yarralumla.
The American Embassy was along the way as well and unsurprisingly, it was heavily guarded. Didn't even bother to take a snapshot of it, why? Well, with all the enemies they have, I may be arrested because they might think I'm a terrorist wannabe or a spy or something like that, haha! *mimics Nelson's laughter*
Anyway, after walking past a number of embassies, the Malaysian Embassy was finally right in front of me! I must say, after being away from home for such a long time, it felt good to see something that reminds me of home.
- 3 passport photos
- 1 copy of my passport
- 1 copy of my identity card
- 1 copy of my student visa
- $110, passport renewal fee
And when I reached there, they only asked for 1, 3 and 5. Bloody hell!! Bloody cheated my feelings, God knows how much trouble I went through just to print my student visa, grr! Worse, they didn't even tell me I couldn't pay by eftpos, luckily I brought some cash with me otherwise I'd definitely die on the spot. *sharpens claws*
******
Updated: 2 May 2008
So this was where I left off the last time I attempted to publish this post. Gee, how long has it been? Don't you just love my procrastination? *sigh* Should really stop falling into the same cycle.
Anyway, realised I posted a huge amount of photos and due to the fact that I'm not exactly very expressive now, will just let the photos do the talking and will only throw in some comments as and when needed.
5:21 PM