Friday, December 19, 2008
Surprise surprise.
So it was a normal Friday morning,
until I came in to work to find all THESE on my desk! 0_0 Thanks guys for those lovely cards and chocolates, much appreciated.
Btw, speaking of cards, it's interesting to note that some spelled my name wrongly again. I guess 'Ammie' is rather hard to spell after all, hehe.
Also got this from Chris, thanks Chris! =)
And not to mention, this from David yesterday before he flew off to Sydney. That reminds me, I still haven't opened Cherie's present yet (on second thought, perhaps patience is my virtue after all, hehe), maybe I should open it along with David's on Christmas day?
Anyway, it's been a rather interesting day because we had a Christmas lunch at My My (a Vietnamese restaurant at The Pines).
And everyone (including yours truly) has been looking forward to it since the beginning of the week. =)
L-R: Guido, Phoebe and Alex.
L-R: May, Cherie, yours truly and Thila.
Fiona giving a beautiful speech.
It was soon followed by Kris Kringle and the uber important task of giving out KK gifts to everyone fell to none other than......
Bec (doesn't she look cute? reckon she looks like Mrs Claus, hehe)
and Rod (or Uncle Rod as coined by Fiona, haha).
My KK gift, guess what I got?
This! Still remain clueless as to who gave me this, so whoever you are, thanks heaps! =)
Fiona checking out Anna's and Guido's KK gifts.
Then, Santa suddenly appeared in the restaurant with his elf (not photographed here) but the irony was, instead of giving out presents, he actually got one from the restaurant owner! -_-
Anyway, my colleagues have been raving about how good the food at My My is (last year's Christmas lunch was held here as well) but having always been sceptical towards angmoh's opinion of Asian food (don't you reckon angmohs are easily impressed when it comes to Asian cuisine? one boring dish can be excellent in their eyes, sien), I was therefore determined to reserve my opinion until I have tried their food.
Hence, the following is my review:
ENTREE
Spring rolls. Honestly, this is really good, even better with their unique dipping sauce! (8.5/10)
Satay chicken skewers. Love this one too especially the satay sauce (btw this isn't very Vietnamese, isn't it?). (8/10)
Chicken and sweetcorn soup. This, ladies and gentlemen, is unfortunately a hit and miss. Rather sweet to my liking. Seriously, don't know why angmohs are crazy about chicken and sweetcorn soup. (5/10)
Next up, Vietnamese rice paper rolls.
So, Vietnamese rice paper+vermicelli+ coriander+shredded carrots......
+sizzling beef,
and you'll get a cute little Vietnamese paper roll! =) I am actually quite fond of it, particularly love how the taste of coriander lingers and how the dipping sauce accentuates the roll. (8/10)
MAIN
Fish fritters. This is also another hit and miss because it is salty! The onions, however, are surprisingly tasty, now isn't that ironic? (5/10)
Fried rice. This is totally beyond a mere hit and miss, it's absolutely horrendous! It tasted so bland as if there wasn't any seasoning and the texture of the rice was rather dry, seriously how could you possibly go wrong with fried rice? What a shame, even plain white rice tastes better than this (no I'm not joking, it's THAT bad). Simply humiliating my palate. (0/10)
Prawns with vegetables. Another hit and miss because the prawns were not fresh and the vegetables were tasteless. Enough said. (4/10)
Some chicken (sorry can't remember the name). At least this was adequately seasoned, although I wasn't too impressed by it. (5.5/10)
DESSERT
Cherie's lychee and ice cream.
Thila's banana fritter and ice cream.
Finally, my authentic Vietnamese dessert (at least that's what the menu says, hehe) --> banana cooked in coconut cream. Love the combination of banana, sago and coconut cream. Besides that, the chopped peanuts also added a delightful layer of texture. Thumbs up! (9/10)
Conclusion: While I enjoyed the entree (except the soup) and dessert, the main course was nevertheless disappointing. Reckon I can cook better than that! Btw, my scepticism is right, never trust angmoh's opinion of Asian cuisine, hehe.
Btw this is Thila's KK pressie. Isn't it pretty? How cute is that! And I want one too! *pouts*
And oh, on a random note, the Christmas tree at our department. Gosh I'm so excited about Christmas! ^_^
So it was a normal Friday morning,
until I came in to work to find all THESE on my desk! 0_0 Thanks guys for those lovely cards and chocolates, much appreciated.Btw, speaking of cards, it's interesting to note that some spelled my name wrongly again. I guess 'Ammie' is rather hard to spell after all, hehe.
Also got this from Chris, thanks Chris! =)
And not to mention, this from David yesterday before he flew off to Sydney. That reminds me, I still haven't opened Cherie's present yet (on second thought, perhaps patience is my virtue after all, hehe), maybe I should open it along with David's on Christmas day?Anyway, it's been a rather interesting day because we had a Christmas lunch at My My (a Vietnamese restaurant at The Pines).
And everyone (including yours truly) has been looking forward to it since the beginning of the week. =)
L-R: Guido, Phoebe and Alex.
L-R: May, Cherie, yours truly and Thila.
Fiona giving a beautiful speech.It was soon followed by Kris Kringle and the uber important task of giving out KK gifts to everyone fell to none other than......
Bec (doesn't she look cute? reckon she looks like Mrs Claus, hehe)
and Rod (or Uncle Rod as coined by Fiona, haha).
My KK gift, guess what I got?
This! Still remain clueless as to who gave me this, so whoever you are, thanks heaps! =)
Fiona checking out Anna's and Guido's KK gifts.
Then, Santa suddenly appeared in the restaurant with his elf (not photographed here) but the irony was, instead of giving out presents, he actually got one from the restaurant owner! -_-Anyway, my colleagues have been raving about how good the food at My My is (last year's Christmas lunch was held here as well) but having always been sceptical towards angmoh's opinion of Asian food (don't you reckon angmohs are easily impressed when it comes to Asian cuisine? one boring dish can be excellent in their eyes, sien), I was therefore determined to reserve my opinion until I have tried their food.
Hence, the following is my review:
ENTREE
Spring rolls. Honestly, this is really good, even better with their unique dipping sauce! (8.5/10)
Satay chicken skewers. Love this one too especially the satay sauce (btw this isn't very Vietnamese, isn't it?). (8/10)
Chicken and sweetcorn soup. This, ladies and gentlemen, is unfortunately a hit and miss. Rather sweet to my liking. Seriously, don't know why angmohs are crazy about chicken and sweetcorn soup. (5/10)
Next up, Vietnamese rice paper rolls.So, Vietnamese rice paper+vermicelli+ coriander+shredded carrots......
+sizzling beef,
and you'll get a cute little Vietnamese paper roll! =) I am actually quite fond of it, particularly love how the taste of coriander lingers and how the dipping sauce accentuates the roll. (8/10)MAIN
Fish fritters. This is also another hit and miss because it is salty! The onions, however, are surprisingly tasty, now isn't that ironic? (5/10)
Fried rice. This is totally beyond a mere hit and miss, it's absolutely horrendous! It tasted so bland as if there wasn't any seasoning and the texture of the rice was rather dry, seriously how could you possibly go wrong with fried rice? What a shame, even plain white rice tastes better than this (no I'm not joking, it's THAT bad). Simply humiliating my palate. (0/10)
Prawns with vegetables. Another hit and miss because the prawns were not fresh and the vegetables were tasteless. Enough said. (4/10)
Some chicken (sorry can't remember the name). At least this was adequately seasoned, although I wasn't too impressed by it. (5.5/10)DESSERT
Cherie's lychee and ice cream.
Thila's banana fritter and ice cream.
Finally, my authentic Vietnamese dessert (at least that's what the menu says, hehe) --> banana cooked in coconut cream. Love the combination of banana, sago and coconut cream. Besides that, the chopped peanuts also added a delightful layer of texture. Thumbs up! (9/10)Conclusion: While I enjoyed the entree (except the soup) and dessert, the main course was nevertheless disappointing. Reckon I can cook better than that! Btw, my scepticism is right, never trust angmoh's opinion of Asian cuisine, hehe.
Btw this is Thila's KK pressie. Isn't it pretty? How cute is that! And I want one too! *pouts*
And oh, on a random note, the Christmas tree at our department. Gosh I'm so excited about Christmas! ^_^Labels: food, fun time, special occasions
♥ When you think of happiness, I hope you think of me.
9:06 PM
0 comments
9:06 PM