Thursday, September 11, 2008
Quote of the day: "In the life of every man, no matter what his rank may be, there comes a moment when he must prove his true worth." (p. 218, in The Tree of Life, vol. 1 in the Mysteries of Osiris series, by Christian Jacq)
A reading spree,
have been on one ever since the move to Melbourne. Oh well, just couldn't help it, especially when I'm so deprived of TV. Not that I crave TV anyway, after being spoilt by Austar for such a long time, free TV can no longer satisfy me. I miss Austar! I want my Food Channel, History Channel, Discovery Channel, Fox8, Cartoon Network, Disney, heck, even BBC and CNN!! T_T
Anyway, moving along, back to the reading spree. Everyone knows I'm a hardcore egyptology enthusiast so it's least surprising that I'd be drawn to the following books written by French egyptologist Christian Jacq.
have been on one ever since the move to Melbourne. Oh well, just couldn't help it, especially when I'm so deprived of TV. Not that I crave TV anyway, after being spoilt by Austar for such a long time, free TV can no longer satisfy me. I miss Austar! I want my Food Channel, History Channel, Discovery Channel, Fox8, Cartoon Network, Disney, heck, even BBC and CNN!! T_T
Anyway, moving along, back to the reading spree. Everyone knows I'm a hardcore egyptology enthusiast so it's least surprising that I'd be drawn to the following books written by French egyptologist Christian Jacq.

Currently in the midst of reading the fourth volume (also the final volume) of The Mysteries of Osiris series.

The War of the Crowns is the first book I read written by Christian Jacq. Being the first volume of The Queen of Freedom trilogy, I was absolutely enthralled by the book since I first laid my hands on it and am now determined to hunt other series penned by Jacq. =) Do have a read if you're interested.
Speaking of reading spree, have also read Fifth Mountain by my favourite author Paulo Coelho for the second time and it's still as mind-blowing as the first time I read it! Simply ingenius.
Speaking of reading spree, have also read Fifth Mountain by my favourite author Paulo Coelho for the second time and it's still as mind-blowing as the first time I read it! Simply ingenius.
Now, you know I'm a lover of brilliant quotes but I shan't bombard you with too much quotes taken from the Fifth Mountain (although I'd very much love to, hmm, maybe I should dedicate a post to those quotes, that's an idea...). For the time being, just one will suffice in conveying Coelho's wisdom:
"It's always necessary to know when a stage of one's life has ended. If you stubbornly cling to it after the need has passed, you lose the joy and meaning of the rest. And you risk being shaken to your senses by God." (p. 238, in The Fifth Mountain)
"It's always necessary to know when a stage of one's life has ended. If you stubbornly cling to it after the need has passed, you lose the joy and meaning of the rest. And you risk being shaken to your senses by God." (p. 238, in The Fifth Mountain)
Was moved to tears reading such incredible lines. Seriously, you MUST read this book! Need I say more?
******
Work has been busy and I can't deny that I'm sometimes thrown into great despair when faced with difficulties. But having such supportive and friendly colleagues (and supervisor) who are generous with genuine compliments definitely helps. Thank you for all your reassuring words. =)
******
Work has been busy and I can't deny that I'm sometimes thrown into great despair when faced with difficulties. But having such supportive and friendly colleagues (and supervisor) who are generous with genuine compliments definitely helps. Thank you for all your reassuring words. =)
Got an email from a PhD student today thanking me for our warmth during his thesis submission. And I thought, I've made someone's day by being helpful and nice, how amazing was that! Reckon I've found another reason to enjoy the job.
For that and for everything, I'm truly grateful. =)
******
Photo times! Backdated though, lol.
For that and for everything, I'm truly grateful. =)
******
Photo times! Backdated though, lol.

At Soda Rock Diner, South Yarra. Check out the jukebox, isn't it cute? Btw, love the diner especially the interior, so fifties!

Audrey and Ying posing with their colourful shakes.

Weichao smiling from ear to ear for no apparent reason. Siao ta poh, wahaha!!

My lunch --> Sloppy Joe (beef patty topped with beefy chilli con carne and hot chilli sauce), yummers!

Obviously, I was very pleased with it. ^^
Next stop (after the shopping of course), Ganache, also at South Yarra.

My classic hot chocolate, simply to die for!

I love my classic hot chocolate, I'm happy.

Ying loves her mocha, she's happy.

Weichao loves his classic hot chocolate too (although he did say it's rather sweet for his liking, I'll simply ignore such 'blasphemous' comment, lol), he's happy.
In conclusion, chocolate makes one happy. Therefore, eat/drink more. ^_^
******
Going back to Churchill for Mid Autumn Festival, so excited!!!!! Strange but it feels like going home. Oh how I've missed you! =)
Labels: food, fun time, philosophical, sentimental, work
♥ When you think of happiness, I hope you think of me.
9:00 PM
0 comments
9:00 PM